- There are several subcategories of special leave days. These sub-categories have their own total amounts allowed, and circumstances they cover. Some of the most used reasons are medical appointments, bereavements, and family responsibilities.
These days are NOT refunded in case of emergency non-workdays. (Snow days/other sch cancellation)
Some of the categories require documentation. Documentation can be requested for others, but it’s rare.
The conditions around the reasons and number of special leave days that can be taken are negotiated in the Local agreement section 5 clause 14.02. Our locally negotiated clauses replace the provincially negotiated ones.
If you are unsure of your specific case, please contact the union.
- Whatever Combination of categories are used, the overall cap is 8 days a year for a 100% teacher.
A part time teacher has an overall cap of their % of 8 a year.Medical appointments and Family ResponsibilitiesA full-time teacher has up to 5 days that can be used for medical appointments. A part time teacher has their % of 5 a year. They can be taken in full day or half day increments.
Planning these days and submitting them to AESOP in advance can increase your chances of having your desired supply teacher cover you.
Family responsibilities in the form of illness of family members that are minors fall under this category, and can only be used if your sick day bank is empty.
Documentation is generally not required for medical appointments, but can be asked for.
These five days also cover a series of other reasons for special leave.OTHer REasons that Share the MEdical Appointment BaNKYou can use 1 day for the following reasons. These days are part of the five days you use for medical appointments and family responsibilities.
BEREAVEMENTThere are days for “immediate family”. Immediate family is a specific term which is defined as the people you live with, your spouse, your children, your parents, grandparents, and siblings. Parents-in-law are also included. In these cases, you have up to 5 days starting within a week of their death.
- any event considered an Act of God (disaster, fire, flood, etc.)
- adverse weather conditions which make it impossible for the teacher to report for work
- the day when the teacher moves from one residence to another
- the day of the event for the day of teacherʼs university convocation
Brothers or sisters-in-law, sons or daughters-in-law, or grandchildren are not considered immediate family, but you get 1 day to attend their funeral. Extra days are available if you must travel over certain distances to the funeral.
There are no other Special leave bereavement leaves.
Documentation can be requested. (Obituary, other death announcement)Other Reasons for Special Leaves
Urgent BussinessThere are very few occurrences that fall under this reason, and it is at the discretion of the school board. The use of this code is a case by case basis, and rarely accepted. Documentation is always required.
- Your Marriage: 3 consecutive days (must include day of the wedding, not be at end or start of year)
- Marriage of child/parent/sibling/sibling-in-law: 1 day (the day of the wedding)
- Religious holidays: 3 days (1 week written notice for RSB required, evidence of widespread usage)
- Baptism/brith: Day of the event
- It is not your responsibility to find a substitute teacher.
It is your responsibility to notify the appropriate people of your absence, and provide work for the missed class.
If it is less than 3 hours until the absence you must phone your school or administration, according to school norms.
If there is more than 3 hours until the absence use FRONTLINE absence management . Your ID and Pin are supplied by the Schoolboard.
When you have signed in the screen will look like the image in the screenshot. Use the drop down menus to describe the length and reason (each type of special leave has it's own code) for the absence.
You can attach any files that your substitute teacher needs to have, and write the substitute or your administrator a quick note.
Once the details are entered press the green create absence button
- Unused days are not paid out at the end of the year.
Unused days are lost. No days are carried from year to year.